Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Ring'a D'em Bells!


It's almost impossible to believe. My best friend is getting married in 3 days! I am ecstatically happy and miserably sad at the same time. I didn't realize it was possible to feel such contradictory, conflicting emotions together. Sandi and I talked about something a couple of weeks ago and I still can't seem to get it off my mind. The purpose of marriage is to serve God better with someone than you can serve Him alone. Yet, there are so many married people who say their time with the Lord was never the same after they got married. But I don't think that has to be the case. As a matter of fact, I think marriage is a sanctifying time and should make you even more like Christ than when you're single. Marriage should not be seen as a distraction or a disruption in your spiritual life. Of course we should enjoy singleness and the benefits of serving the Lord without any encumbrances...but that doesn't give us license to look down our noses at marriage. After all, it is one of the greatest earthly gifts the Lord can give us. Yes, practically the form and the focus of your ministry must shift when you're married, but the motivation and drive remain the same--the glory of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In three days I will walk down the aisle and watch as my kindred spirit makes vows to the man God has chosen for her, and I will praise God for the gift of marriage and the gift of singleness that He so graciously bestows on His children as He sees fit.

No comments: