Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Don't Waste Her Cancer

A few years ago, John Piper was diagnosed with cancer and he wrote an article called, "Don't Waste Your Cancer." That's the inspiration for the title of this particular blog entry.

Recently my mom's cancer has become active, and not just active but aggressive--it has metastasized to her liver. Most doctors will not even treat cancer that has spread through the liver, they will simply tell their patient to go home, get things in order, and prepare to die. My mom's doctor told her she has 7-9 months to do just that. Not news that anyone wants to get--not me, or my dad, or my sister, and certainly not my mom.

Many of you have been praying for my mom for years now as she has battled several rounds of cancer. God has been faithful, and no matter what happens to my mom this time, God will remain faithful. God's Word has been my strength and comfort at this time. Each time I open it, a treasure of encouragement and hope cheers me. I am finding sweet fellowship and communion with my Savior at this time and although it is hard, the hardest thing I've ever faced in my life, God is providing grace sufficient at exactly the time I need it.

I am determined not to waste my mom's cancer. I want to shine Christ and to be a reflection of Him through this and I pray the same for my mom. I pray that she will be a beacon of light to any unsaved around her and that she will remain faithful, trusting, and joyful until the day she sees her Savior--whenever that may be.

Update:
We are looking for an aggressive doctor who will be willing to try to treat my mom. We are ready for whatever the Lord has, but still don't think we need to just give up. My mom is a fighter. She is the strongest woman I know. Lately she been in excruciating pain because the bone in her hip is deteriorating. She hasn't been able to walk for the last few days. Please pray we will find a solution for this besides just giving her addictive painkillers.

5 comments:

Sandi said...

I love you my sweet janea. :o) I'll be praying for your mom and family. Miss you and look forward to seeing you on Saturday.

Wes and Rachel said...

Janea...you have always been so faithful to uplift my little Kai in prayer....please know that we are praying for you mom everyday and also for you and your family....we have a slight glimpse of the pain you are going through and are amazed with your strength and faith in the Lord. We love you and if there is anything we can do for you, please HOLLER!

Ebeth said...

We will pray.

M said...

Praying friend. I love you!

vara said...

Hi - you are an inspiration to me. I drop by your blog whenever I need some uplifting and I have always found something that encourages me in my walk with God. I am especially encouraged by the way your faith shines through during this trying time for you. I will remember you and your family in my prayers.