Friday, December 19, 2008

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

What a bitter sweet time to be taking care of my mom through this journey. I'm learning so much what it means to be perfected through suffering and trials. Heaven is so much more real to me...just a breath away. Right now my mom is not coherent, she sleeps most of the time and we can barely rouse her long enough to eat the few bites that she will take. The hospice nurse came yesterday and said that was to be expected as part of the progression of the cancer. He estimates that we are in my mom's last several days (2 weeks at the most).

Despite the lack of sleep, nerves on edge, and long days, there have been many sweet and precious moments that I am going to cherish for the rest of my life. I'd like to share a couple.

When my uncle was over at the house the other day, he was singing some songs to my mom. All of the sudden, she started singing with him, Amazing Grace. She had the words all mixed up, but she was singing at the top of her lungs. Both my dad and I went running into the bedroom because we couldn't believe it unless we saw it with our own eyes. My mom's voice was still beautiful--it brought tears to my dad's eyes.

At another point a few days ago when my mom was a little more coherent, we asked her how she felt thinking about heaven. She said, "Jesus will be beautiful and I will have a new body for snowing." :)

Well today, it's snowing here and it is absolutely beautiful. It will be a white Christmas for me and my family. I'll see if I can post a few pictures tomorrow. Thanks for all of your prayers.

2 comments:

Blissfully Yours said...

Janea,
I can't read this post without crying. What sweet memories my friend that you have to treasure. We are praying for you and your family. We love you dearly.

Lola (on behalf of the entire Perdido clan.)

Wes and Rachel said...

Janea,
What a testimony you and your family have been to us. We are praying fervently. We love you and can't wait to see you again. If there is anything we can do, please don't hesitate to call.
Love you dearly,
Rachel and Wes (and the boys)