Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Couple of Bucks

I've been rethinking my position on giving money to homeless people standing on the street. Over the years I've gone back and forth about whether or not to give to them. You know the argument...they will just spend it on alcohol or drugs. And I've heard stories of people watching a "bum" turn around and drive away in a nice sports car. But the more I think about it, Scripture doesn't say to be kind and compassionate and giving IF you think you agree with where the money will go. That is out of my control. I am just to spread the love of Christ and let the results work themselves out.

So, on the way to work today, I stopped and gave an old man a few dollars. I've seen him standing with his sign on the street for weeks. The smile on his face was worth it. And it's cold outside...if he needs to warm himself up with a beer, I guess that's not my problem. :)

I don't know...what are your thoughts?

1 comment:

JoyinChina said...

That's something we have to deal with all the time here in Asia. We've seen the dark side of it, and know that many of the cases that look most desperate (children, women with small babies, horribly deformed or maimed people) are actually "owned" by "bosses." Some of these people were even maimed on purpose, just so they could be used to beg. We don't want to encourage this kind of slavery. We have tried giving them blankets or food in the past, but the "boss" chased us off. I guess too much comfort is bad for business. Besides that, as a general rule,I don't give to beggars who are smoking, have a liquor bottle in a bag at their feet, or look healthy enough to work.Biblically, if you don't work, you don't eat, an logically, if you can afford liquor and cigarettes, you can afford food and shelter (even if it's humble). However, if someone is out gathering bottles or newspaper, obviously poor, but willing to work, we will give to them. Such is the politics of begging here where we live.