Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I'm Alive and Thinking...

I've been encouraged to keep up my blog, despite good distractions that fight for my time. So I'm vowing to do my best. It's my Thanksgiving resolution, I suppose. Why wait until the new year?

Yesterday at work in staff meeting we had a devotion on Psalm 139 which says,
"Do I not hate those who hate You, O Lord? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with a complete hatred; I count them my enemies."

I have to be honest, this is a hard thing to swallow. I have always been told the cliche, "Hate the sin and love the sinner." And I know the intent behind that saying. But then, how am I to I take a verse like the verse above? Clearly it tells me to hate those who hate God. It calls them my enemies! There is no getting around it. I have nothing in common with those in darkness. I have no fellowship with sons of the devil. It's harsh, but true! There is no truce. No friendship, flirting, or comfort in the presence of an enemy. Too often I think of people as "good." In theory I know that's not true. I know sin abounds. But in practice I am at peace and comfort that everyone around me is pretty much good. NO. I am surrounded by enemies, and I am commanded to hate. Gulp.

But here's where I am blown away. I am also clearly commanded in Scripture to LOVE my enemies! Yes, I am surrounded. Yes, I hate them and loathe their father, Satan. But I LOVE them with a supernatural love. The same love that God love me with when even though I was His enemy, He died for me.

And this hatred of sin should lead directly to reflection in my own life--which is the very next verse in Psalm 139,
"Search me, O, God and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!"

And that is my prayer today!

No comments: