Thursday, January 05, 2012

White Christmas


I am going to listen to my Michael Buble Christmas CD one last time on the way home from work today before I put it away for an entire year! It's inconceivable how quickly the holidays flew by. It seems unreal. It's almost impossible to believe how drastically things change from when you're a kid. But if any time at all, Christmas is the best time to search for that spark, that simple joy you had as a child.

I spent a week with my sister, my B.I.L., my two nephews, and 3 of their cousins...in all there were 5 boys ages 1,2,3,4, and 5! Yes, it's true. It was crazy and insane. But such a blast! Being around kids like that on Christmas really changed everything for me, and it was such a special time. Enjoying their new toys, going on bear hunts, making Christmas cookies and happy birthday Jesus cakes, playing in the snow...it was so much fun.

My sister, B.I.L., and the boys leave tomorrow to go back to Uganda, so sadly that week at Christmas was the last time I will see them for a couple of years, unless God allows me to take a trip to Africa. The cost is great, but the mission is worth it. I will gladly sacrifice having my sister around if it is for the sake of the kingdom.

Goodbyes are bitter cold, like the snow we used to build our snowman. I am trusting that the warmth of these amazing memories will melt the frosty parting and burn brightly until the next time I get to be with my family again.

No comments: