Thursday, October 26, 2006

Mabel Hands: A Living Lesson on Ecclesisates 12

Last night I went to visit a 95-year-old woman named Mabel Hands. Since Mabel can no longer physically come to church, it's nice when church members can come to her. Mabel had a stroke a few months ago. She can't talk well--she knows what she wants to say, but it wont come out. Mabel told us how she loved to cook and knit and travel with her family, "but I can't do that anymore," she kept saying. And all I could think about was how our eyes will grow dim, our hearing will grow weak, and our bodies will grow frail. But only one thing matters in the end: fear God and keep His commandments. The things I worry about today will have no concequence in 40, 50, 60 years. So why should I be so concerned about things that don't really matter in the end? Thank you Mabel Hands.

No comments: