Thursday, October 19, 2006

What A Week!

1 Timothy 5:17
“Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in the Word and doctrine.”


GMI missionaries are worthy of double honor! And it was a privilege and joy for me to watch their precious children for the week while they enjoyed teaching, seminars, fellowship, technical training, doctor’s appointments, hair cuts--whatever they needed to be refreshed and prepared to go back onto the missions field.

I was in the nursery (0-2 year-olds). My week consisted of playing, changing diapers, preparing and feeding the little ones food, rocking crying and sleeping babies, going on walks with strollers, giving piggy-back rides, reading stories, singing songs, and blowing bubbles. I baby-sat, teddy-sat, cat-napped, cuddled, wrestled, hugged, laughed, smiled, and even scolded.

I also got to spend a little time with the older kids. I sang on the worship team and joined in on a fieldtrip to the Maritime Museum and to Sea World. I had a blast dressing up like Cat in the Hat at picnic day and doing face paints and balloons for the kids.

The late nights, early mornings, and long days did take a toll on me--I got sick--but others picked up my slack, and I was ready to go again full force the next day. I was with an amazing team and I had a wonderful roommate. I am constantly amazed at God’s sustaining grace and I was blessed beyond words by the example of the missionaries who give up the comforts of home to serve a living and powerful God in different places all over the world. My love for the body of Christ and for these missionaries has grown exponentially as the Lord continues to reveal to me more and more of His heart for a lost and dying world.

5 comments:

Kate Alesso said...

What an exciting time! I'm happy for you that you had such an incredible opportunity! Did you, perchance, end up caring for a certain Green baby? She has the biggest, bluest eyes I've ever seen. What a sweet family. They departed from our state earlier this month and are already missed.

You dressed up as Cat in the Hat? In California weather? Whoa. That's dedication, there. :)

So cool--sounds like God is teaching you much as you're faithful to serve Him. What an encouragement to those missionaries, as well.

The Resident Writer said...

I'll explain my odd and out-of-the-blue question to you if you feel compelled to know why I asked.

wagamama said...

Yes, do explain your odd and out- of-the blue-question, if you don't mind.

wagamama said...

thegracegirl-
I did hold a certain Green baby...and she is the cutest thing ever! I went to Sea World with the Greens! What a wonderful time.

The Resident Writer said...

a green baby?!? Was she sick????