Thursday, December 21, 2006

Lessons I Learned at Starbucks

Just a week or so ago I met my friend at Starbucks and we decided to enjoy our carmel apple ciders outside. We were sitting at a table that came right up to the sidewalk. At one point a man that appeared to be homeless came right up to our table. I was disappointed by my fleshly reaction which was to grab a hold of my purse--my purse was just kind of sitting on the table. Then, I assumed the man was going to ask for money. But he didn't. He saw the Bible sitting on the table and said,"...o...John MacArthur study Bible? I like Jack Hayford and James Dobson myself." I about fell out of my seat and it was all I could do to keep from spitting that hot cider onto the man's already filthy, tattered shirt. Then the man continued, citing encouraging verses and explaining how he can be thankful for his salvation. Thank God for that man. I don't even know his name...but God used that man at Starbuck's to teach me a lesson. I am called to love people...not just people that are easy to love, not just people that are like me, not just other Christians, but EVERYONE. And when I give preference to my well-groomed, employed friend sitting next to me, than I do to the dirty man on the broken bike, I am not exemplifying Christ the way I should. The way I treat "the least of these" is the way I treat Christ.

1 comment:

M said...

"A thousand times I'd rather fall
Than be afraid to move at all. And after all what is this thing that you call grace?"-Justin McRoberts SAFE