Friday, February 11, 2011

All Dogs Go to Heaven?

I recently decided, I don't like pets. Don't get me wrong, I like animals. I'm just not a fan of pets. There's a difference. I say this as someone who has always had pets. In fact, growing up, there was never a time when I didn't have a cat, a dog, a bird, a rabbit, a rat, fish, chickens, or a pet squirrel. But the more I see how convenient and easy it is NOT to have pets, the more I feel like I can do without. Well, at least I thought so until the other day.

I read a facebook post my cousin put up. He's been extremely sad the past few days because his dog died. Rona was one of those special pets. The kind that don't come along often. You know, the one pet that has everything, the great personality, smart wit, sweet demeanor, yet protective personality. Rona really was one of a kind.

After reading my cousin's post, I was driving home from work and this precious pup started to cross the street, a car turned and headed in the dog's direction and the dog retreated staying in the crosswalk the entire time! I had to admit, it was one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

The next day, again on my way home from work, I watched in horror as a cute, but scruffy, malnourished dog ran into the middle of a crowded intersection where cars speed and accidents happen in abundance. The dog ran in what seemed to be circles in the middle of the street and was inches from being hit, several times. I held my breath and couldn't move. I wanted to take that dog home. But I couldn't get to it in time. No it didn't die, but it ran away before I could get to it.

I thought I was over the whole pet thing, now I'm not so sure!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

So you brought him home? Is that him sitting on your couch?

wagamama said...

No, didn't bring him home...I was too late to catch him. that picture is a picture of Rana...my cousin's dog that died. :(