Monday, January 22, 2007

Weldon

Yesterday I went to Weldon. Where is Weldon? Good question. Head north...Weldon is in Kernville about 90 miles from Bakersfield. It's farmland, ranchers, cowboys, hickville. My friend Brian preached at the Weldon Baptist Church. Members...about 30. If you learn your theology from the hymns they sing, then you'd believe that "if you want a blessing, just call Jesus on the phone," and you'd believe "I've got sunshine in my soul." When you walk into Weldon Baptist Church, you are greeted by a picture of Jesus in a white robe with his beautiful wavy hair and blue eyes.

But you know what? The members of Weldon Baptist are real! They have real struggles. They want to know how to handle their rowdy sons, they want to do the right thing when asked to house a troubled teen. They want to please God. And even if they wear jeans to church and refuse to go outside without their cowboy hat on, I'll be singing beside them in heaven. We may not being singing, "I've got sunshine in my soul" we will be singing, "holy, holy, holy" but I am thankful for their hospitality, generosity, transparency, and genuine faith! The church has been through a lot but praise the Lord for the faithful deacons and members of the church that want a pastor who will open the Word and teach the Truth!

No comments: