Monday, January 08, 2007

Old Paths (WINTER CAMP 07)

Dr. Will Varner is an amazing man because the Lord has chosen to use him in mighty ways. He was our speaker at high school winter camp this past weekend. He taught through 2 Peter--reminding us of "old paths," the things we already know, but need to be reminded of. And he stirred our hearts and minds to be lovers of the Word and diligent students of it. But I must say, one of the most impactful parts of the weekend for me was when Dr. Varner shared his testimony and he talked about the death of his 26 year-old-daughter just a year and a half ago. Job says, the Lord gives and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord. That was Dr. Varner's comfort in the time of his deepest pain. And that was (is) the same verse (and song) that comforts me when I think of the return of my mom's cancer and the imminent possibility that it can eventually spread through her body and take her life. The Lord is good and faithful and his purpose and plan can not be thwarted. I long to have the same heart as Dr. Varner (and Job) that is submissive to the will of God in my life no matter how painful. My heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be your name.

2 Peter 3:18 "But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to Him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen."

No comments: