Monday, March 12, 2007

The Prince of Bel Air

It's always a worthwhile experience when I get to visit other churches. It's a great reminder to me just how vast and diverse the body of Christ really is. Last night, two dear friends and I set out on an adventure that began with an email...

You see, I read Alistair Begg's devotional everyday and occasionally listen to his sermons...so when I got an email that Alistair would be in California, at Bel Air Pres nonetheless, I was there!

The worship was great...you could sense the genuine love these dear brothers and sisters have for the Lord. Although many of the traditions of the church are quite different than I am accustomed to (pastors in jeans, women serving communion, candles) there is still much I can learn from this body of believers. I was reminded that it's okay to express your love for the Lord in a physical way. Drums can be conducive to worship. It's okay not to wear a tie--God doesn't mind! God wants my heart and mind--that is even more important to God than keeping my often legalistic standards.

I thank God for Alistair's message--that God has fulfilled in whole the OT and we are no longer in bondage to the law. Christ has completed it and now sits at the right hand of God enabling me to be free! I thank God for allowing me to learn from these fellow believers and for increasing my appreciation for the wonderful church body God has allowed me to be part of!

6 comments:

The Resident Writer said...

wagamama, I was thinking about your post of many moons ago, about repenting on behalf of the whole Body of Christ. Your post of today is very apropos to what I had to say. I think we do need to repent on behalf of our legalistic brothers and sister who say, "Well, yes she's a Christian, but she wears these miniskirts." "Yes, he says he's a Christian, but he wears shorts to church." I'm sure it grieves the heart of God to see our pettiness.

wagamama said...

Yes...I am often too petty :o)
I pray the Lord will break me from that! And help me not to be judgmental. But I want to be discerning at the same time...kind of a difficult balance.

David Cho said...

Let's talk about miniskirts.

I draw the line when/if Nathan wears one. Trust me, being a Christian will be just one of many questions I will have if/when that happens.

What is going on with that boy?

Oh, please click on the link to Nathan's blog at least 50 times so he knows we are talking about him.

Oh hi wagamama, my name is David. I am merster's blog buddie.

Ebeth said...

I had to work through the clothing issue when we moved here from the midwest. Finally, this thought: if they are in church, a good church, why should I be distracted by their ragged jeans or whatever. It is a different matter for believers as we are not to dress to distract others from worship.
I think Peter wrote something about that.
(Ok, Janae, here's a comment. Now you know I do read your blog.)

rick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rick said...

Hey Janea,

This is Rick Horio. Nice to find you here, and glad to read this post. We have been at a different church for the past year and it's slightly more casual. My pastor still wears a jacket and tie, if not a suit; in fact most of the men that are up front will be in jackets and ties. But a lot of the male musicians are not in ties. I have played in main service a couple of times now and I couldn't imagine having to wear a suit to play music; it's just not me.