Thursday, July 10, 2008

Israel, Rapid-Fire Recap

WORK
The Missionary Conference went extremely well. I worked with 2 other teammates in the 3 to 5-year-old class. We each taught 2 lessons. I taught about Jesus calming the storm on the Sea of Galilee and I did my best to explain the difference between true repentance and Judas sorrow as we studied the story of Peter denying Christ.

As you can imagine, 8-hour days can be hard for the little ones. But they did extremely well. We went swimming and to the park, played with toys, had singing time, reading time, snack time, teaching time, craft time, and video time.
My personal favorite part of the day was nap time J. Some of the fun crafts were boats, finger puppets, bookmarks, thumbprint animals, and an “I Love Israel” banner with their little handprints on it!

I got to know a couple of our dear missionaries a little better, which was a blessing. And it was an encouragement to hear parents say their kids were talking about what they learned during lesson time!

PLAY
When the conference was over, most of the team stayed for a 2-day, rapid-fire tour of Jerusalem and the surrounding area. It was an amazing adventure. We saw the Mt. of Olives, the Garden of Gethsemane, the Jerusalem replica, the Western Wall, the Rock of the Dome, the Holocaust Museum, Hezekiah’s Tunnel, the Pool of Siloam, The Spring of En Gedi, Qumran, Masada, the Dead Sea and I’m sure I’m forgetting more.

WHAT I'LL TAKE AWAY
The biggest lesson I learned was how REAL our God is. Seeing the land of Israel is like having a firsthand encounter with our Lord’s humility and His faithfulness. Only God would chose such a place as the center of His earthly ministry. Only God would chose such a humble people as His chosen nation. Only God! No human could conjure it up and no man would dream it. I stand in awe of our great God!

No comments: