Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Reading to Think

I'm reading C.S. Lewis' The Great Divorce and naturally, like all C.S. Lewis novels do, it got me thinking. I don't know if Lewis said this, implied it , or just sparked a thought in my head, but I was reflecting on how often unbelievers have relatively easy, comfortable lives. And how many believers endure some unbelievably insane trials.

And then I thought about the deceptiveness of Satan. What better trick than to lull nonbelievers comfortably into hell than to make them happy, content, and feeling full with their lives here on earth. Then they don't need a savior. Yet when a believer endures a trial, they are forced to wrestle with God until he blesses them (in a spiritual sense). They are forced to question and test their faith and come out clinging to God even more tightly than before.

And I realized--trials really are from the Lord! What a hard concept to grasp...but trials really are a love offering from our Savior to us. He could simply let us live a life of ease and comfort, but in His graciousness He gives us what is needful to make us His own for once in salvation and each day through sanctification.

No comments: