Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Jury is Out

Jury duty.
I don't dread it. But many do. I don't give excuses to avoid it, though many try. And I am not bitter and resentful during the process. But many around me are.

Perhaps that is why I got selected to be on a jury this past week after getting my summons to serve. But honestly, I found the entire experience to be enjoyable and educational. Forgive me, I sound like a ridiculous commercial for the positives of jury duty. But really, I did have a good week at the Van Nuys Superior Court.

Here are 10 things I learned this week while serving jury duty:
1. Always leave your house a few minutes early.

2. Never eat Quiznos for lunch two days in a row.

3. Don't talk to strangers who approach you and say, "hey there, little one."

4. You can carry a water bottle through security, no need to put it through the x-ray machine.

5. Never keep 13 people waiting for you.

6. Never use a DA, hire your own defense if needed.

7. Don't run from the police.

8. Use every opportunity to evangelize.

9. It's hard not to feel sorry for the guilty party, even though you know they are guilty.

10. People are crazy!

2 comments:

JoyinChina said...

Haha, I TOLD you he/she was guilty! :) I think jury duty would be interesting, as well, but not much chance I'll be called for it here in China. I was called once in the States, but they didn't end up wanting me on a jury. I don't know why. Isn't "He's guilty.Lock him up and throw away the key," an okay way to answer "Do you have any preconceptions about the defendant?" ;) And as for what you learned, if you don't run from the police, but evangelize them-do you get bonus points?

Julie said...

I love jury duty! The one I was on was totally guilty and it was hilarious to see his utter shock when we said so. Ha! Good times indeed and YES YES.. hire your OWN defense attorney! (FYI: DA= District Attorney.) :-))