Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tall Soy Chai Tea Late, Extra Hot, No Water and the Church

There's something about a cup of chai that makes me feel happy, introspective, and ready to take on the day! The hot, delightful, liquid oozing down my throat, through my body, and warming my tummy is a wonderful addition to a cozy couch and my Bible.

And my thoughts drift to things I can't stop turning around in my head. I read something that transformed my thinking about how to view the church. It's a concept I'd ever really thought about before. The church is the vessel through which God shows His grace to His children. That is why He has given the church instructions to devote ourselves to the teaching of the Word, the breaking of bread, to prayer, and to baptism. All of those are things...teaching, communion, prayer, baptism...those are ways that God lavishes us with His grace.

Church is about God giving us His grace. It's not about what I "do." Even when I "do," I am simply a vessel of grace that God is using to bless someone through me. What a humbling concept. WOW!

No comments: