Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Living Out Christ

I've been thinking a lot lately about what it means to live a life totally dedicated to Christ. And I think in many ways I've got it wrong. I get so concerned about "doing, doing, doing" that I forget the one needful thing--to sit at the feet of Christ. It's so much easier to be a Martha than a Mary. It's good to be involved, it's good to help. I love being involved in ministry...it's who I am. But I have to remember that ministry takes different forms. I can be "in ministry" no matter where I am and what I'm doing. In fact, I am commanded to be a light of the gospel whether I am in California or Uganda. I have to remember, God's calling for my life may be different than I've always thought. I just want to be faithful. Faithful to the gifts the Lord has given me and the desires he has put in my heart.

2 comments:

Ebeth said...

Good to think this through. Thinking through Ps. 46:10: Be still and know that I am God. If I am not still, I will miss that knowing.

The Resident Writer said...

Oh, Janea!! This is something I've been thinking a lot about, about where and how to serve, and maybe what doesn't look like service to others really is. I've often thought that what just looks like a big, goofy party is really my way of serving-my way of showing hospitality and teaching younger women how to love their husbands and manage their homes and friendships. I could go on . . . but it is our hearts that God wants, no matter how that looks to others.