Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Visit Cornerstone (Hear Francis Chan)

For several years now, I've been meaning to go to Cornerstone and hear Francis Chan preach. I've tried a couple of times in the past to go to his church and hear him, but as it were, it never panned out. The one time I went, there was a guest speaker and another time he was sick or gone on vacation. So a few weeks ago, I heard an announcement that surprised me, along with many other people. Francis announced that he was moving on from his pastoral position at Cornerstone. He has been the pastor there for about 15 years. He said he thinks God is calling him elsewhere. He doesn't know if that means to start another church in the LA area, or if it means the mission field. But it was certain his time of pastoring Cornerstone was up.

After getting that news, I realized I'd better go to Cornerstone and hear him preach, quick, before he was gone. Hearing him was one of the tasks on my birthday resolution list. So the very next Sunday, I met up with my friend Stephanie and went to a service at Cornerstone. Francis preached on the parable of the soils and explained that many will hear and not be saved, but we are just to faithfully spread the seed until the very end.

It was a good message, and I went away encouraged by what God is doing in the lives of other churches. I'll be praying for this transition time for these dear people in the weeks and months ahead.

No comments: