Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Soda Cans

Tuesday is "trash" day. And this morning when I was jogging, I saw a sad sight. A woman was walking down the residential streets near my home digging through the trash cans--apparently collecting soda cans and other recyclables for a meager existence. Maybe she was homeless I am not sure...but I said hello to her. And as I continued my jog, my mind wandered to the story of Ruth. What does the book of Ruth have to do with soda cans, you may ask. Well, when Ruth went into Boaz's field to collect scraps, or to "glean barley in the fields after the reapers," that is the modern day equivalent of digging in the trash for soda cans! Ruth was poor and had nothing and if it had not been for Boaz's generosity, neither Ruth, nor Naomi would have had food to eat. And to think, God used that one poor, humble woman to bear a son, Obed. "He is the father of Jesse, the father of David."

1 comment:

Kate Alesso said...

That's cool. How neat that something so poignant brought your mind to Scripture.